Empowering Global Scholars: Commonwealth Master’s and PhD Scholarships Await Your Application!
Ready to embark on an academic journey that transforms lives and drives global progress?
The Commonwealth Scholarship Commission (CSC) in the UK is delighted to announce the opening of applications for the Commonwealth Master’s and PhD Scholarships. With a history of supporting over 30,000 individuals since 1960, the CSC continues to play a pivotal role in fostering global development through education and collaboration. The HALI Access Network supports CSC’s efforts which also advance our mission to empower African community builders by championing them into international higher education and beyond. The Network can nominate candidates for CSC Master’s and PhD scholarships from any eligible country in Africa but they must have a prior affiliation with a HALI Access Network member organization.
In the previous cycle, HALI nominated 30 outstanding scholars, from 10 diverse Commonwealth nations. These scholars exemplified the program’s global impact, echoing its commitment to inclusivity and representation. We celebrate all our nominees, most especially the successful scholars who will go on to pursue graduate studies in diverse disciplines, from social sciences to engineering, health sciences to environmental studies, forming a group of experts addressing multifaceted global issues.
The Path Ahead
The 2023 application cycle is now open, welcoming applicants from 05 September to 17 October 2023. The Commonwealth Master’s and PhD Scholarships provide a distinctive opportunity for eligible citizens of Commonwealth countries to engage in advanced UK-based studies, equipping them with invaluable skills and networks to drive positive change across the globe. We encourage all alumni of HALI Access Network member organizations to pursue this opportunity.
To qualify for these scholarships, applicants must meet specific criteria:
- Be a citizen of or have been granted refugee status by an eligible Commonwealth country, or be a British Protected Person
- Be a permanent resident in an eligible Commonwealth country
- Be available to start your academic studies in the UK by the start of the UK academic year in September 2024
- By September 2024, hold a first degree of at least upper second class (2:1) Honours standard, OR a second class degree (2:2) and a relevant postgraduate qualification (usually a Master’s degree). The CSC would not normally fund a second UK Master’s degree. If you are applying for a second UK Master’s degree, you will need to provide justification as to why you wish to undertake this study.
- Be unable to afford to study in the UK without this scholarship
- Provide full transcripts detailing all your higher education qualifications including to-date transcripts for any qualifications you are currently studying (with certified translations if not in English) – uploaded to the online application system
- Provide references from at least two individuals.
For PhD candidates:
- NOT be registered for a PhD, or an MPhil leading to a PhD, at a UK university or in your home country before September/October 2024
- Provide a supporting statement from a proposed supervisor in the UK from at least one of the institutions named on your application form.
Nomination and Application Details:
Agency selection criteria:
- The HALI Access Network will only nominate applicants already affiliated with one of our member organizations. All potential nominees will be submitted to the network by our member organizations.
- Applicants without prior affiliation with a HALI member organization cannot apply to become a member of the network to gain a nomination. You can find other CSC nominating agencies here.
- Members of the HALI Access Network will accept applications for nomination until 31 October 2023.
- Applicants must ensure that they have submitted a complete application to CSC by 17 October 2023.
- Applicants must submit a copy of their submitted CSC application form to the HALI member organization they are affiliated with:
How to apply
- Candidates must apply using the CSC’s online application system which can be found on the CSC website. Each scholarship has a ‘How to apply’ section which will have information and guidance on the application process and the link to the online application system. The CSC is unable to accept any applications that are not submitted via the online application system or after the closing date listed above.
- Check out the ‘advice for applicants’ page for additional tips as you put together your application.
Please contact the HALI Member Organization you are affiliated with for more information. We wish all applicants success in their academic pursuits!